The process of this painting was very reminiscent of my
first project in which I outlined the lines present on a piece of wood. The
material, namely the piece of wood, was essential to the way in which the
project took shape. The lines I traced were informed by the material in
question; my contribution is the choice of color and material that I used on
the piece of wood.
Similarly in this painting, I became intrigued by the canvas
material, making shapes following the structure of the canvas itself: a closer
look at the canvas allow you to notice the miniature and informal grid that the
cloth provides.
I was also interested in using a palette knife rather than a
paint brush to apply the paint. I wanted to explore the application of varying
thicknesses of paint rather than the thin layer I generally use. The colors are
just a palette that I have been drawn to recently, and can be seen in many of
the works I’ve done throughout the semester.
The various rectangles provide glimpses of possible worlds
creating through paint, as opposed to the blank canvas surrounding them. They
are passages of color, potentially inciting different moods. Some of these
shapes also bleed out of the canvas, suggesting that the field of vision
proposed by the canvas is simply cropped from a larger condition. Leaving
traces of the material used (the canvas) uncovered is also a theme that I have
been interested in. The idea of showing the process, and having the canvas not
be simply a vessel for the artwork but itself being part of it. Treating the
painting more like a drawing in that sense, where the white space is
intentional and significant.

No comments:
Post a Comment