I have recently been very interested in photography and
wanted to integrate that into my paintings. I enjoy taking photographs of
ordinary places but perhaps in an unconventional way, or in a way that enhances
the formal conditions of a certain space.
I believe that painting can further enhance that abstraction
by changing the colors in which that composition and shapes are viewed in order
to create a somewhat distorted reality.
I borrowed this composition of shapes from Wurster, it is an
image of the studio ceiling. Wurster is a place that has been my second home
for quite some time now, so it becomes easy to overlook some of the intricate
moments happening in the space; or conversely, it could lead a new way of
viewing them. It is also a building that isn’t typically appreciated, but that
I have found increasingly more attractive over the years. This could be a
result of the countless hours I’ve spent here, or due to its innately
intriguing aesthetic, but either way it is anything but a boring space and
structure.
I used a similar color palette as the previous painting, and
one that I have been trying to expand on. I am drawn to these colors, and I
believe the choice of colors is generally an important stage in my painting
process. I wanted to abstract the image and distort the space in order to
create a representation that is simultaneously decipherable and ambiguous. It
is also, in a sense, a color study (just as Albers would define it) since the
interactions of the same colors in different contexts give rise to a different
reading of them in certain instances.

No comments:
Post a Comment