When thinking of the word long, the first think to come in mind is time. Time is long, maybe not for our individual lives but deep time is, the only physical reality we've known in theory has had time. Maybe it slows down at times and speeds up at others depending on our experience of it but it's present at all times. The vast occupancy of time onto our understanding of existence is also something very difficult to grasp, something that I would like to say I understand but probably don't really. Because it is all relative, compared to our snippet of time spent in existence time is inconceivably long.
Here is a physical manifestation of time, the rings generally represent a year based on the tree's experience of seasons. Time is something imbedded in nature and very beautifully so. I wanted to emphasize this by retracing them. It was a very meditative process in itself, forcing you to focus on the moment being: the present; which is arguably a moment that doesn't exist or one that is always in existence.
It is also interesting to note that this is a piece of wood manufactured by man, it isn't naturally found in this state. I have recently been very intrigued by wood as a material since it is the only living entity we use as a material. And although we try to tame nature, use it and control it in some ways, just as we did here, ultimately we are all subject to the same workings of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment