
During the past few years, especially after leaving home, I have been reconnecting with my mother in a different way. I also view her and the influence she has had on me in a whole new light. I have "found" myself in her in many ways and continue to delve into how that relationship is formed. She is a large part of why I am so intrigued by the arts and why I seek to create. Although we might have divergent ideas on certain aspects of life, ultimately, much of her way of thinking has transferred onto me; she has an openness and lightness of being that I admire.
أمي pronounced "ummi" is arabic for "my mother." This relates back to my mother tongue, and the language I use when speaking to my mother.
I couldn't find a picture that I was content with using for this portrait, so I asked my 15-year-old sister to take one of our mother for me. With a few guidelines on lighting, she managed to take one through her eyes. I therefore see this painting as not just mine, but one that is my sister's and mother's as well; with a contribution from all three of us. This also illustrates the fact that I have become evermore connected to the women in my family, my grandmother, my mother and my sister. They are very important and dear to me, and I increasingly see bits and pieces of us in each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment